April 8, 2008
The University of Illinois is Now a Member of BioMed Central
News that many of you have been eagerly awaiting!
The University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana is now a Supporting Member of the open access publisher, BioMed Central.
What this means is that when you submit a journal article for publication in one of nearly 200 BMC titles, you will receive a 15% discount off the article processing charge!
Here's a list of the BMC titles:
This discount also applies to articles submitted to Chemistry Central
http://www.chemistrycentral.com/ and to PhysMath Central http://www.physmathcentral.com/.
Here's a list of the article processing charges for the various BMC journals (before discount):
For most of the journals, the fee is $1690, but may be as high as $2685 or as low as $500. A few are even free.
Many of the BMC journals have already earned quite respectable Impact Factors. See:
e.g., Genome Biology (7.17); BMC Bioinformatics (3.62); BMC Biology (4.43); BMC Evolutionary Biology (4.46)
Why should you consider publishing in a BMC journal?
First of all, know that all research submitted will receive rigorous and rapid peer review. If the article is accepted:
- It will be accessible to anyone with an Internet connection - open access means no subscriptions or 'pay-per-view' charges for original research articles.
- It is more likely to be cited, as it will be freely available to the entire global biological and medical community
- It will be listed in PubMed within days of publication
- You retain the copyright of your work
- You will be able to view your article's access statistics, which average over 200 downloads per month per article
- Your articles will be securely and permanently archived in PubMed Central
Papers published by our colleagues:
The University of Illinois' "homepage" lists papers that were published in BMC jouranls by U of I authors in the last year -- at this point 30 research articles, software, protocols, etc:
For your interest, here's the U of I-Chicago's home page:
Submitting a paper:
If you are on campus within our recognized IP range when submitting a manuscript you will be identified as belonging to a member institution and automatically granted a 15% discount on article processing charges If you are at home or at an external terminal when submitting your paper, you can still claim this discount by stating that you are a affiliated with the U of I. Papers may be submitted either via a journal home page or via http://www.biomedcentral.com/manuscript/.
Posted by Katie Newman at April 8, 2008 3:56 PM