March 10, 2006
Accessing Faculty of 1000 from Off-Campus
Several of you have let me know that you're having a difficult time accessing Faculty of 1000 from home.
The situation is pretty weird...
- To use F1000 from off campus, one must have first registered when on campus. (I.e., from within the campus IP range.) You can only register when you're on campus.
- Then, to log in from off campus, one must have logged into F1000 while on campus, within the previous 30 days.
- If you've used F1000 within the past 30 days while you're on campus, that's still not good enough, though! You actually have to have been logged in to your "MyF1000" account from on-campus.
- Note: If you allow cookies, you can have your on-campus computer set so that when you access F1000, you're logged in automatically. Test this out: The next time you access F1000 from on-campus, look at the upper left-hand corner of the screen; if you see a message welcoming you (e.g., I see Welcome Katie Newman), you've been logged in automatically.
- When you access F1000 from off-campus, using our special URL, http://www.library.uiuc.edu/orr/get.php?instid=226365 , login as if you have a "personal subscription".
Pretty strange, hey?
There is an alternative!
Use CITES' Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to establish a connection to the University, and to authenticate yourself as a UIUC affiliate. When you use VPN to access resources from off-campus, it's as if your computer were physically located on campus!
Caveat: for VPN to work properly with library resources, you must use the library profile. Read more about VPN, and download the client; be sure to also download the Library profile. When you use the VPN + Library profile, you'll be able to get into F1000 from off-campus, whether you've previously registered with F1000 on campus, or not. (Of course you'll still need to authenticate yourself when you start up the VPN client.)
Of local interest, I thought you'd be interested to know that UIUC is well represented amongst the nearly 2000 faculty who have been chosen to be evaluators in F1000! Click on the links below to see what they've been recommending!
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign F1000 Evaluators
Andrew Belmont CELL BIOLOGY > Nuclear structure & function
Martin Gruebele STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY > Protein folding
Steven Huber PLANT BIOLOGY > Plant biochemistry & physiology
Kim Hughes GENOMICS & GENETICS > Evolutionary/comparative genetics
David Kranz IMMUNOLOGY > Antigen processing & recognition
Deborah Leckband CELL BIOLOGY > Cell adhesion
George Ordal MICROBIOLOGY > Microbial physiology & metabolism
Scott K. Silverman STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY > Structure: RNA
Jonathan Sweedler CHEMICAL BIOLOGY > Chemical biology of the cell
ps.. I generated this list by clicking on the "Faculty Member List" link, and searching for "Illinois" in the "by institution" search bar.
Posted by Katie Newman at March 10, 2006 10:04 AM