The collections of the Biology Library and the Natural History Survey Library have their origins
in the Library of the State Laboratory of Natural History which was developed by Professor Stephen
A. Forbes. This library of 1,207 volumes and 3,856 periodicals and pamphlets was transferred from
Normal, IL when Professor Forbes was made head of the Department of Zoology and Entomology at the
University of Illinois in 1884. Forbes is
"generally credited with laying the foundations for applied ecology, and in
particular, for integrated pest management.
" (IlliniWeek, April 26, 1990, p. 6). In the obituary that appeared in the Journal of
Economic Entomology v. 23: 472-473, 1930, Forbes was credited with
"one of the most remarkable careers known in the history of American Entomology.
" The Stephen A. Forbes Papers are held in the University of Illinois Archives, 19