Williams is a Professor Emeritus in the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He served as the Design Architect for the university’s Education Building, and designed several buildings across the state. In 1981, he published The Urban Stage: A Reflexion of Architecture and Urban Design.
The Williams Papers have been arranged as a single series, and organized chronologically by architectural project or publication.
Consists of photographs, negatives, transparencies, articles, proposals, periodicals, posters, architectural drawings, and two bound books; these materials provide an overview of Williams’ architectural career during the 1960s and 1970s, and include a range of projects that were completed throughout the state of Illinois as well as several that were proposed but never realized.
1 cu. ft. with a supplemental box for oversized posters
Folder 1 – Williams residence. Floorplans
Folder 2 – Williams residence. Notes
Folder 3 – Williams residence. Drawings and transparencies
Folder 4 – Williams residence. Plans
Folder 5 – Williams residence. Color photographs
Folder 6 – Williams residence. Exteriors
Folder 7 – Williams residence. Interiors (1 or 2)
Folder 8 – Williams residence. Interiors (2 of 2)
Folder 9 – Williams residence. Negatives
Folder 10 – College of Education, 1964
Folder 11 – Collaborative design studio proposal, April 1965
Folder 12 – Skylines Midwest Architecture, June/July 1966
Folder 13 – Center for Advanced Study proposal, November 1966
Folder 14 – Laputta Gazette/403, December 1968-March 1969
Folder 15 – Jackson/Williams exhibit program, December 1968-January 1969
Folder 16 – Journal of Aesthetic Education, October 1970
Folder 17 – Concordia Theological Seminary
Additional Items: One copy of the study draft for The Urban Stage: A Reflexion of
Architecture and Urban Design
Folder 1 – Architecture on Record. Images, 1960-1965
Folder 2 – Architecture on Record. Images, 1965-1968
Folder 3 – Center for Advanced Study. Models and drawings from proposal,
Folder 4 – Various projects. Damaged acetate negatives.
Additional Items: Binder with descriptive data for Williams residence, 1960;
Binder with descriptive data for Appellate Court Building, 1968; City Hall
Square Study Preliminary Report, March 1969; one paperback copy of The
Urban Stage: A Reflexion of Architecture and Urban Design
5 Miscellaneous Publications [2 copies of each title]
1) A. Richard Williams, “The Future University as an Urban Metaphor,” Offprint of an article from The Journal of Aesthetic Education Vol. 4, No. 4 (October 1970): 111-118.
2) Pamphlet: “Dedication: College of Education Building, November 6 and 7, 1964, University of Illinois, Urbana”
3) Billy Morrow Jackson and A. Richard Williams. Jackson : paintings and drawings, Williams: design spectrum. Catalog from an exhibition held at the Krannert Art Museum, December 15, 1968 through January 5, 1969.
4) Skylines: Midwest Architecture (June/July 1966). See especially, “Urban and Regional Design discussed by Professor A. Richard Williams,” on pgs. 4-5.
5) The Laputa Gazette & Faculty News, Special issue: Campus Architecture by Dick Williams (Vol. I, No. 5, February 15, 1969).
Additional Items: Graduate Urban Design Studio. Posters, 1966-1967