Searching the Online Catalog
Online Library Catalog to locate books at UIUC. It's equally easy to find and place requests
for materials at over 50 Illinois academic libraries through the Each catalog includes a help page
UIUC and I-Share (formerly ILCSO) Catalog Tips
- Omit common words such as "and," "the," or "a" from your title search because the system cannot
interpret these words, unless you choose to search the title "as a phrase."
Quick Search is useful for exact title, author, or subject heading of an
Guided Keyword Search is best for when you have incomplete information for an
- To search by
call number, select
Browse Call Numbers (in
Quick Search ) . Omit any prefixes such as "Q." "Microfiche," etc.
- To search by
Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) type in a subject term and select
combine two keywords or concepts type the first word and then the word "and".
Select "Boolean Search" (see Example 1). If you are combining a phrase with a keyword, put the
phrase in quotation marks (see Example 2).
Example 1: Picasso AND women
Example 2: "Van Eyck"
Reading a Catalog Record
- You can have requested items delivered to a particular UIUC library (for example, Architecture
& Art). Faculty members or graduate students can route items to their campus office by
selecting "UIUC Campus Mail.
- Protect your account by selecting
logout when you finish searching from a public terminal!
Requesting books NOT found in the UIUC or I-Share Catalogs
to search for and request materials from thousands of libraries.
Interlibrary Loan for assistance or more
Fines and Fees
- Fines are not paid to individual libraries such as Art & Architecture. All fines will be
collected by the University and you will receive a bill by mail.
- If you have any questions regarding your bill, please contact the Library Billing Office by
calling 333-8288 or stopping by Room 202 in the Main Library.