Guidelines for Retirement Agreements
In all instances concerning retirement agreements, the UIUC Library complies with the
Guidelines for Employment Severance Agreements, Campus Administrative Manual, Personnel
Policies, Section IV/A-17. Anyone wishing to enter into such an agreement should completely
familiarize his/her self with this policy prior to making a request. One should understand that
retirement agreements are neither entitlements nor rewards for meritorious service to the
- Proposals are usually initiated by the individual to the University Librarian, although
this does not preclude the University Librarian from initiating agreements.
- Acceptance of a retirement agreement by an individual must be voluntary and free from
- Agreements will be made for periods from less than a year to, but not to exceed, two
- Salary increases are not to exceed double the campus average.
- Lump sum payments normally will not be considered in a retirement agreement.
- Retirement agreements will not include post-retirement employment.
- Details of all proposed agreements must be formalized through written communications between
the individual and the University Librarian.
- All agreements must be drafted by the appropriate campus offices.
- All agreements must be approved by the University.
Back to Office of Services