Graduate Assistant, Preservation Unit
Graduate Assistant in Digital Preservation
Position & Title
Pre-professional Graduate Assistant, Preservation Unit
50% Appointment (20 hours/week), available August 16, 2015 – May 15, 2016
This position reports to the Preservation Librarian.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Working under the Preservation Librarian, the Graduate Assistant in Digital Preservation supports the Preservation Unit’s growing role in managing the library’s digital preservation activities. This GA works with content producers and the Medusa digital preservation repository technical team to plan and manage actions such as file packaging, staging, and ingest into the repository.
Major duties will include:
- “Medusa” digital preservation repository management: Maintaining metadata about locally produced digital collections in the Medusa collection registry, identifying and packaging digital content for ingest into Medusa, tracking the status of all files and file packages ingested into Medusa
- Documentation: Documenting in writing all newly developed workflows or procedures
- Media Migration: Transferring data off of obsolete computer media on an as-needed basis
For information on the Digital Preservation Program, see:
- Ability to work a set schedule of 20 hours between the operating hours of 8 am and 5 pm.
- Knowledge of digital preservation management concepts
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of XML and how metadata is represented in various schema
- Knowledge of file formats for long-term preservation (images, audiovisual materials, documents)
- Experience using a programming language such as Ruby, Python, XSLT, or other for manipulating batches of files
- Experience authoring metadata records for digital library content
- Knowledge of preservation best practices in libraries
- Knowledge of RDF ontologies
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
phone: (217) 300-3842