Illinois Digital Environment for Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
Scholarly Communication & Publishing
Pre-Professional Graduate Assistantship, 0.33 FTE appointment
August 16, 2017 - May 15, 2018
The Scholarly Communication and Publishing unit in the University Library has two (2) pre-professional graduate assistantships available for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Each pre-professional graduate assistant position is at 0.33 FTE (approximately 13 hours per week). The assistantships focus on two different areas:
Institutional Repository Management Graduate Assistantship
This graduate assistantship will focus on supporting user relations and customer service for IDEALS by responding to queries from users who are seeking support, and assisting the Repository Services Coordinator and related Library staff in addressing repository service responses. This position will also work with the Repository Services Coordinator in the development and revision of guides and documentation for patron support and about repository maintenance; and will assist in developing online content and outreach materials related to institutional repository services.
Specific projects for this position may include:
- Analyze the IDEALS archive of patron help requests to identify “pain points” and service needs for patrons. Work with Repository Coordinator to develop strategies to improve customer service and user experience for IDEALS. Assist the Repository Services Coordinator in designing and testing overall IDEALS website improvements.
- Revise IDEALS help guides and documentation. Develop community- or field-specific research guides according to individual background and interest.
- Assist in content creation and management for website content and social media related to IDEALS: Highlight articles or collections from IDEALS in weekly blog posts, contextualizing the items with related research or a thematic connection to current events. Develop a style guide for future blog posts and investigate possible connections with other blogs/social media presences on campus.
Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A. in an appropriate area of study;
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in a graduate degree program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- Demonstrated familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet programs (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel);
- Strong communication skills (both oral and in writing);
- Strong work ethic;
- Intensive attention to detail;
- Interest in scholarly communications, digital libraries, copyright, digital publishing, and/or open access.
- Enrolled in a graduate program at the School of Information Sciences;
- Demonstrated familiarity with web design, digital publishing software, or graphic design;
- Familiarity with issues related to copyright;
- Familiarity with issues in scholarly communications, publishing, and open access;
- Familiarity or experience with tools and methods used in digital scholarship.
To apply, please submit your resume and a letter of interest to Harriett Green, Interim Head of Scholarly Communications and Publishing (email@example.com), and Helenmary Sheridan, Repository Services Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).