Illini Union Browsing Room Closes
Due to the campus budget reduction, the Illini Union Browsing Room closed in June. Since 1941, it had served as a reading room, library, and popular gathering place for students. Its collection of 4,000 volumes catered to those who wanted to read for pleasure, and its location provided a convenient, comfortable atmosphere.
The Browsing Room was part of the University Library system and managed by the Undergraduate Library. It was located in the northwest corner of the Illini Union, in what was once known as the Wedgwood Lounge. The room had a formal, colonial look with walls painted china blue, elegant crown molding, a fireplace, and a hardwood floor covered with rugs.
The nonfiction holdings included biographies, cookbooks, and travel guides as well as books on various topics such as science and lawn care. The fiction selections included mysteries, thrillers, romance novels, and science fiction, along with current bestsellers. The Browsing Room also carried several major newspapers and a number of popular magazines. All materials have been transferred to the Undergraduate Library.
For more information about the Browsing Room, including its history, visit http://www.library.uiuc.edu/ugl/iub/index.htm .